Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Science of Smashing


As I said in some of my previous blog posts, I hope as a science teacher to create lessons my students are interested in and can relate to.  Well, is there anything easier to relate to than wanting to just take a rock and smash something with it?  In this demonstration, a rock is dropped into several different beakers, each containing a liquid with a different viscosity.  Despite its simplicity and messiness, this demonstration would take a new science term put it in a context that students would enjoy watching and learning about.  Even though it would involve a lot of cleanup and would require students to keep back in case of broken glass, I would like to perform this demonstration firsthand to start my class with a real kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment